Christie Centre Inc.
Christie Centre Inc.
The Christie Centre has been a major provider of services in the region for people with a disability since 1954. It is a not-for-profit organisation providing a range of disability services for our community. Christie Centre Inc. vision is “Supporting people to have meaningful lives in their community”. Christie Centre Inc. seeks to fulfil this vision by offering a diverse and relevant range of programs and services. Christie Centre Inc. values demonstrate open and honest communication, team work and collaboration, respect, accountability and building strong relationships. The SWL Placement is at the Christie Centre Inc. Head Office.
Disability Support: Assistant Community Services Worker.
Do you aspire to work as an Assistant Community Services Worker in Disability
Support? This opportunity may be the right opportunity for you. This opportunity is for a student to gain structured workplace learning as an Assistant Community Services Worker in a supportive team. This is an ideal placement for a student currently studying a VETDSS subject in Community Services to gain skills at a leading Disability Support Service organisation in the Mildura area. Sounds like a pretty good employer to have on your resume doesn't it? Make Christie Centre Inc. your next phone call to find out more.
Skills You Might Learn
The student may have the opportunity to attain a broad range of skills while on work placement. These may include valuable employability skills such as:
• Problem solving.
• Follow instructions.
• Work under supervision.
• Industry specific OH&S.
The student may also attain vital industry specific skills which will relate to their secondary school studies they include:
• Hands-on practical experience.
• Observing and learning from industry qualified and experienced professionals.
• Working in real-life scenarios.
• Working with tools and equipment necessary to the occupation.
• Liaising and working with supervisors, colleagues, industry personnel, customers/clients and suppliers.
Typical Tasks & Duties
As an Assistant Community Services Worker at the Christie Centre Inc. Head Office, you will provide basic assistance and support to clients accessing a community service.
• Communicate and work in health or community services.
• Work with diverse people.
• Participate in workplace health and safety.
• Organise and complete daily work activities.
• Work within a community development framework.
• Use digital technology for routine workplace tasks.
• Use strategies to respond to routine workplace problems.
• Interact effectively with others at work.
• Set up and pack up activities.
Students with a positive attitude towards Community Services and in particular Disability Support as an Assistant Community Services Worker and are self-motivated, willing to listen and follow instruction are encouraged to consider a future SWL placement to develop skills learned from their VETDSS subject.
Whilst the students is attending the work placement they are expected to:
• Dress appropriately.
• Maintain interest and participate in tasks and work duties.
• Be well mannered and behave in a respectful and responsible manner.
• Be punctual.
• Follow management instructions.
• Act in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements.
• Work within the team.
• Listen and take advice from fellow workers.
• Respect other people’s belongings.
• Keep a note pad and pen handy to take notes for their own reference.
• Demonstrate the skills they have developed through their course.
• Take their Log Book to the work placement every day.
The student will be required to present in the following work attire;
• Flat, non-slip, enclosed work shoes.
• Neat casual attire with no inappropriate slogans.
• Long hair must be tied back, nails must be kept short and clean.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate to the tasks and duties carried out by the student, will be supplied by the Host Employer.
KMART Mildura is a supplier of appropriate worksite clothing.
Special Transport Requirements
Public Transport is limited, students to check bus transport availability and or speak to parents/carer to organise transport prior to contacting employer.
Buslink Sunraysia: Ph: 5023 0274, Website: http://buslink.com.au/your-bus-service/mildura/
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- CHC22015 - Certificate II in Community Services
- CHC32015 - Certificate III in Community Services