Child care worker
Cobram Bluebird (Child Care)
### Child Care Worker opportunity ###
The successful student will have the opportunity to gain valuable hands on industry experience in the childcare sector. At Cobram Bluebird, there are two early education services – a preschool and a childcare centre. The kindergarten program includes play-based, interactive learning that focuses on developing memory and concentration skills, numeracy and literacy, social maturity, emotional strength, coordination and problem-solving abilities. Learn and develop the fundamentals of childhood development and caring for children. Gain comprehensive knowledge in social, emotional, physical and educational needs for infants and young children. This placement opportunity provides practical industry experience.
Skills You Might Learn
The student will gain skills and knowledge including;
- how to deal with all pre-school age groups
- Improve their industry awareness
- Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
- Assist with health and safety of children
- Interact positively with infants, toddlers and parents
- Participate in workplace health and safety
The student will also have the opportunity to attain a broad range of personal skills while on work placement. These may include valuable employability skills such as;
• Customer Service
• Attention to detail
• Problem solving
• Money Handling
• Follow instructions
• Work under supervision
• Industry specific OH&S
The student may also attain vital industry specific skills which will relate to their secondary school studies they include:
• Hands-on practical experience.
• Observing and learning from industry qualified and experienced professionals.
• Working in real-life scenarios.
• Working with equipment necessary to the occupation.
• Liaising and working with supervisors, colleagues, industry personnel, customers/clients and suppliers.
Typical Tasks & Duties
While on placement the student will;
- Follow instruction and safe working practices - ensuring the health and safety of children
- Learn, support and implement play and leisure programs
- Manage and guide children's behaviour
- Maintain a safe, clean and appealing environment
- Assist to implement policies and procedures within education and care services.
The student may have the opportunity to participate in a range of activities including;
• Work with Preschool Teachers and fellow support staff.
• Participate in the setup of activities.
• Guide and support children through their activities.
• Help children communicate, develop their social skills and have fun along the way.
• Maintaining centre cleanliness (including sweeping, mopping, wiping tables and benches, cleaning activity equipment, etc.).
• Reading stories.
• Helping prepare snacks.
• Assisting with various administration tasks.
Students will also from time to time interact with parents and educators. It is important students introduce themselves to parents and confidently explain who are they are and that they are undertaking a placement for a week from their secondary school. It is also important that students have a good OH&S awareness around; sun smart policy (always wear a hat when outside) safe lifting (when picking up small children) general hygiene and cleanliness in child care setting (clean hands and clean surfaces and equipment used).
This placement is best suited to a VCAL or VCE students interested in working in the Community Services Industry towards Early Childhood Education and Care. A warm and friendly personality is preferred, along with a strong desire to actively engage with children and work in this industry.
NUT FREE ZONE – Students are welcome to bring their own snacks and lunch; however, no nuts or nut products are permitted on site.
Whilst the student is attending the work placement they are expected to:
• Be interested in the Community Services Industry, be sociable with good communication skills.
• Students must be willing to spend periods of time observing and to undertake necessary tasks as requested.
• Dress appropriately.
• Maintain interest and participate in tasks and work duties.
• Be well mannered and behave in a respectful and responsible manner.
• Be punctual.
• Follow management instructions.
• Act in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements.
• Work within the team.
• Listen and take advice from fellow workers.
• Respect other people’s belongings.
• Keep a note pad and pen handy to take notes for their own reference.
• Demonstrate the skills they have developed through their course.
• Take their Log Book to the work placement every day.
• Neat casual dress.
• Flat and enclosed work shoes are a requirement.
• Torn clothing and inappropriate slogans are not acceptable.
• Must wear a hat when required (brim hat).
Appropriate clothing could include slacks/school pants and a polo shirt. Hair should be tied back and jewellery should be discreet (no big jewellery). No visible tatooes. No skin exposed - sun smart environment.
Special Transport Requirements
VLINE - Cobram (walking distance from station)
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- CHC22015 - Certificate II in Community Services
- CHC32015 - Certificate III in Community Services
- VIC20116 - VCAL Studies