A School Based Apprenticeship and Traineeship (SBAT) in this well known busy bakery is being offered. If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please contact CGLLEN for specific details of the student SBAT requirements- firstname.lastname@example.org 0r 5352 3266. This is a great opportunity for a student studying a hospitality certificate. This well-known busy bakery in the Central Grampians region of Stawell is offering a year 11 or 12 student the position of an all-rounder who will trained in baker and pastry chef skills. The team at Waack's Bakery Stawell will work with the student and provide training in a variety of baking and catering experiences and customer service relations. Students will gain the opportunity to work in a busy and demanding bakery environment with highly skilled professionals. If your confident in customer service, strive for job satisfaction, and would like to learn all aspects of this industry, then this is an opportunity for you. Please talk to your careers teacher today about how to apply.
Skills You Might Learn
Ability to communicate verbally and understand and follow written and verbal instructions
- Technical skills in preparation and handling of all kinds of bakery products;
- Importance of teamwork.
- Time management and punctuality.
- Communication skills in the workplace.
- Experience and familiarity with general food service and customer service functions.
- Exposure to hospitality related functions in a professional environment.
- Broader understanding of what a Baker and Pastry Chef role involves on a day-to-day basis.
- Meet competency goals in course work and traineeship.
- Achieve certification in a SBAT and combine practical work experience with a formal qualification.
Typical Tasks & Duties
Students will assist trained staff in performing duties, students receiving high level supervision.
All student tasks and duties may include, but not limited to, requirements of a baker/pastry chef:
- Treat and process raw materials and ingredients (flour, oil, sugar, yeast, water, etc.).
- Prepare different dough and mixtures according to production recipes under baker supervision.
- Produce and apply decorations on bakery products under supervision.
- Clean, maintain and make simple repairs to machinery and equipment used in bakery.
- Provide services to meet a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Manage spoilage, turnovers and inventory of stocks and goods.
- Responsible for maintaining the standard in terms of sales and quality.
- Responsible for packaging, labelling and merchandising bakery products.
- Responsibility over goods inventory and internal ordering.
- Responsible for displaying products to ensure maximum impact, being aware of customer needs and behaviour.
Students are encouraged to consider a SBAT placement to develop skills learned from their VETDSS or VCAL subject in Hospitality. Basic hospitality skills will be useful but not necessarily required.
The following requirements must be met;
- The students must have completed the Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) module in WRS VCAL or else have begun the OH&S module in the relevant VETDSS course.
- Assist and help in the preparation and production of products by company specifications and instructions in the time frame.
- Students must be willing to learn and follow instructions carefully.
- Students must practise good hygiene and good personal care.
- Students must be polite and demonstrate a positive attitude and good communication skills.
- Students must not use their mobile phone or devices during the hours of their work placement, meal breaks are best use of time to check mobile phones.
Responsible for maintaining a neat and clean appearance, with respect to food hygiene. Uniform/workwear to be discussed with the employer at the interview.
Special Transport Requirements
The student will be required to arrange their own transport; if transport is presenting a problem please contact CGLLEN to discuss available options and support that can be provided. Email: SWL@cgllen.org.au Phone: 03 5352 3266. If it is proposed that the student may need to undertake vehicle travel with their employer and/or supervisor during the arrangement (including transporting the student to and/or from the workplace), the student must complete documentation of consent to travel in a work vehicle. The parent/guardian (where the student is under 18 years of age) must give their consent by also completing this form.
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- FBP20117 - Certificate II in Food Processing
- FBP20217 - Certificate II in Baking
- FBP30117 - Certificate III in Food Processing
- FBP30417 - Certificate III in Retail Baking (Bread)
- FBP30517 - Certificate III in Retail Baking (Combined)
- SIT20213 - Certificate II in Hospitality
- SIT20416 - Certificate II in Kitchen Operations
- SIT30713 - Certificate III in Hospitality
- SIT31016 - Certificate III in Patisserie