Kitchen Hand - work placement opportunity at a unique establishment -
Do you have a keen interest in Hospitality: Kitchen Operations and want to learn more? A great opportunity exists for a student currently studying a VET subject in Hospitality: Kitchen Operations to gain skills at a Mexican style cafe. This placement is a tourism destination, so is service focused and will provide a terrific understanding of working within the hospitality industry whilst under the supervision of experienced staff.
Skills You Might Learn
The student may have the opportunity to attain a broad range of skills while on work placement. These may include valuable employability skills such as;
• Problem solving.
• Follow instructions.
• Work under supervision.
• Industry specific OH&S.
The student may also attain vital industry specific skills which will relate to their secondary school studies they include:
• Hands-on practical experience.
• Observing and learning from industry qualified and experienced professionals.
• Working in real-life scenarios.
• Working with tools and equipment necessary to the occupation.
• Liaising and working with supervisors, colleagues, industry personnel, customers/clients and suppliers.
Typical Tasks & Duties
The student will be part of a hard working team in the kitchen. The student will be responsible for basic food preparation for lunch including chopping, peeling, measuring and weighing of ingredients. The student will also complete kitchen cleaning and dish washing duties. Be physically fit and be capable of working on their feet. The student will also be delivering food to customers and interacting with tourists and visitors to Cactus Country.
The student may undertake the following tasks and duties;
• Work effectively with others.
• Use food preparation equipment.
• Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery.
• Use cookery skills effectively.
• Clean kitchen premises and equipment.
• Use hygienic practices for food safety.
• Participate in safe work practices.
• Prepare and present simple dishes.
• Participate in safe food handling practices.
• Show social and cultural sensitivity.
Students with a positive attitude towards Hospitality: Kitchen Operations, with a keen eye for detail and are self-motivated, have a consistent and good work ethic, willing to listen and follow instructions are encouraged to consider this SWL placement to develop skills learned from their VET subject in Hospitality: Kitchen Operations.
Whilst the student is attending the work placement they are expected to:
• Student must be interested in Kitchen Operations in the Hospitality industry.
• Student must be willing to spend periods of time observing and to undertake necessary tasks as requested.
• Dress appropriately.
• Maintain interest and participate in tasks and work duties.
• Be well mannered and behave in a respectful and responsible manner.
• Be punctual.
• Follow management instructions.
• Have good communication skills.
• Act in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements.
• Work within the team.
• Listen and take advice from fellow workers.
The student must be well presented and groomed as kitchen staff may work in full view of customers.
• Flat, non-slip, enclosed work shoes.
• Clothing to be confirmed/advised upon interview
• Long hair must be tied back, nails must be kept short and clean.
• The student must have obtained a Food Handlers Accreditation.
Special Transport Requirements
VLINE - Cobram or Yarrawonga. The business is located along the Murray Valley Hwy, approx. 15 km west of Cobram. Refer to VLINE for further details and information.
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- SIT20316 - Certificate II in Hospitality
- VCE20116 - Industry & Enterprise
- VIC20116 - VCAL Studies