Shepparton Villages is a unique community based organisation which started as a dream in 1963 through the Rotary Club of Shepparton and is now a leader in aged care and one of Shepparton’s largest employers. Their vision is to enrich the lives of people in their care. With their ever-expanding grounds, garden upkeep and maintenance is a very important and busy role.
Skills You Might Learn
Students may have the opportunity to attain a broad range of skills while on work placement. These may include valuable general employability skills such as:
- Problem solving
- Initiative and enterprise
- Planning and organising
Students may also attain vital industry specific skills which will relate to their studies such as:
- Hands-on practical experience
- Observing and learning from industry qualified and experienced professionals
- Working in real-life scenarios and environments
- Working with tools and equipment necessary to the occupation and business
- Liaising and working with colleagues, bosses, customers/clients and suppliers.
Typical Tasks & Duties
General duties may vary depending on the time of year, but may include
- general maintenance of gardens
- making new garden beds
- thinning out plants
- planting new plants and trees
Students must be comfortable with working outside, undertaking manual labour and must be willing to engage with residents out in the grounds.
Students should wear trade pants, high vis top and work boots. Other PPE equipment will be provided when required. Students should wear a sun smart hat in the warmer months.
Special Transport Requirements
Please visit public transport Victoria website.
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- AHC20416 - Certificate II in Horticulture
- VCE20116 - Industry & Enterprise
- VIC20116 - VCAL Studies