Booth is one of Australia's most respected national freight and logistics service providers. The Heavy Vehicle - Automotive work placement opportunity allows students to be based in the workshop and work under the workshop manager and gain an insight into the diesel automotive industry and learn the operational tasks involved in day-to-day operations of a heavy vehicle workshop.
Skills You Might Learn
Students may have the opportunity to attain a broad range of skills while on work placement. These may include valuable general employability skills such as:
- Problem solving
- Initiative and enterprise
- Planning and organising
Students may also attain vital industry specific skills which will relate to their studies such as:
- Hands-on practical experience
- Observing and learning from industry qualified and experienced professionals
- Working in real-life scenarios and environments
- Working with tools and equipment necessary to the occupation and business
- Liaising and working with colleagues, bosses, customers/clients and suppliers.
Typical Tasks & Duties
The student will gain an understanding of basic diesel mechanics, and repair tasks. The student will also have the opportunity to learn workplace communication, safe work practices and how to cooperative effectively in a workplace team.
- Identify and adhere to OHS procedures relevant to the industry and organisation
- Workshop duties
- Assist with basic mechanical repairs as directed by mechanic
- use of basic tools relevant to trade
- Clean up of workshop when required
A genuine interest in Heavy Vehicle Mechanics must be required, along with a courteous and polite manner. Be willing to learn and take initiative and pride in tasks undertaken. The employer values communication skills, teamwork, punctuality and initiative.
Work boots, trade pants and old top. Overalls can be worn if you have them.
Special Transport Requirements
Visit Dyson transport for local transport options.
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- AUR20716 - Certificate II in Automotive Vocational Preparation
- VCE20116 - Industry & Enterprise
- VIC20116 - VCAL Studies