Assistant Surveyor / Town Planner
Chris Smith & Associates
TOWN PLANNERS play a key role in creating the spaces that communities use, from the design stage to assessing environmental sustainability. Students will be exposed to the various tasks a town planner and related professionals perform on a day-to-day basis. They will use industry-specific software, tools and learn about the skills and qualifications they will need to attain a job like this in the future.
Skills You Might Learn
Students can attain a broad range of skills while on work placement. These may include valuable general employability skills such as:
- Problem solving
- Initiative and enterprise
- Planning and organising
Students may also attain vital industry specific skills which will relate to their studies such as:
- Hands-on practical experience
- Observing and learning from industry qualified and experienced professionals
- Working in real-life scenarios and environments
- Working with tools and equipment necessary to the occupation and business
- Liaising and working with colleagues, bosses, customers/clients and suppliers.
Typical Tasks & Duties
Students will learn how to navigate CAD software, make technical drawings and use air photography and data to make site plans. They may also accompany professional planners to various sites as projects are planned and assessed.
This placement would suit students who are studying and/or have an interest in town planning, civil construction, environmental studies, social sciences or careers in humanities.
Office attire or smart casual. In warm weather a hat is recommended.
Special Transport Requirements
Central Shepparton location, public transport options available. Some flexibility is available for students with transport difficulties.
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- 22338VIC - Certificate II in Building and Construction (Pre-Apprenticeship)
- 22470VIC - Certificate II in Engineering Studies
- AHC21016 - Certificate II in Conservation and Land Management
- AHC21020 - Certificate II in Conservation and Land Management
- AHC21616 - Certificate II in Landscaping
- AHC30916 - Certificate III in Landscape Construction
- AHC31420 - Certificate III in Conservation and Land Management
- CPC20112 - Certificate II in Construction
- CPC20120 - Certificate II in Construction
- CPC20211 - Certificate II in Construction Pathways
- CPC20220 - Certificate II in Construction Pathways
- CUA30715 - Certificate III in Design Fundamentals
- MEM20105 - Certificate II in Engineering
- MEM20219 - Certificate II in Engineering - Production Technology
- MEM20413 - Certificate II in Engineering Pathways
- RII20715 - Certificate II in Civil Construction
- RII20720 - Certificate II in Civil Construction
- RII30915 - Certificate III in Civil Construction
- RII30919 - Certificate III in Civil Construction
- VCE20116 - Industry & Enterprise
- VIC20116 - VCAL Studies