Ararat Rural City Council
If your interested in consuming this Work Experience (WE) opportunity please contact CGLLEN on 03 5352 3266.
Ararat is a large regional centre north-west of Melbourne in the heart of Victoria. Strategically located at an important junction of several major highways, the city is a logical stopping off point for tourists exploring the nearby Grampians Ranges and Grampians Pyrenees wine regions.
The region is renowned for tourism, the production of world-class wines, agriculture and manufacturing, which collectively fire a buoyant regional economy. Ararat Rural City Council has an opportunity for a student to complete work experience in the vocation of Assistant Handyperson, engaging them in the industry area of construction. If you are interested in the opportunity to learn from professionals in local government services, please talk to your careers teacher today about how to apply.
Skills You Might Learn
Students may have the opportunity to attain a broad range of skills while on placement. These will include valuable general employability skills such as:
- Effective communication.
- Problem solving.
- Initiative and enterprise.
- Planning and organising.
- Liaising and working with colleagues, bosses, customers/clients, and suppliers.
Students may attain vital industry specific skills which will also relate to their studies such as:
- Hands-on practical experience.
- Observing and learning from industry qualified and experienced professionals.
- Working in real-life scenarios and environments.
- Working with tools and equipment necessary to the occupation and business.
Typical Tasks & Duties
Students will assist trained staff in performing duties, students receiving high level supervision.
Students will be responsible for the following tasks;
- Assisting Ararat Rural City Council trained staff with related facilities management and maintenance activities.
- Engaging with customers related to facilities and maintenance activities as advised by Ararat Rural City Council trained staff.
- Completing all related tasks as assigned by Ararat Rural City Council trained staff.
- Students are not permitted to use plant or equipment.
Students are encouraged to consider a WE placement to develop skills learned from their Work-Related Skills subject. The following requirements must be met;
- Students are required to have completed the Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) modules- General module and any applicable industry OH&S modules.
- Students must maintain a diary or logbook and/or complete work experience assignment and other tasks that have been set by the school.
- Students must adhere to strict Privacy and Confidentiality policy and procedures.
- Students must have a willingness to learn and be able to follow instructions carefully and competently.
- Students must be willing to communicate clearly and work as a productive team member.
- Personal mobile phones are not required and should only be used out of work hours or on offsite meal breaks.
Please discuss with the employer at the preplacement interview. Protective, industrial Clothing including safety boots will be required.
Special Transport Requirements
The student or the parent/guardian (where the student is under 18 years of age) is responsible for the student’s transport to and from the workplace. If it is proposed that the student may need to undertake vehicle travel with their employer and/or supervisor during the arrangement (including transporting the student to and/or from the workplace), the employer must complete the Work Experience Travel and Accommodation Form. The student or the parent/guardian (where the student is under 18 years of age) must give their consent by also completing this form. If transport is presenting a problem, please contact CGLLEN to discuss available options and support that can be provided. Email: SWL@cgllen.org.au Phone: 03 5352 3266.