Christie Centre Inc.
SWL Opportunity Placement: Disability Support Assistant at the Christie Centre Inc.
SWL Placement Locations depending on the student’s interest can include:
Christie Centre, 115 - 117 Twelfth Street, Mildura.
Life Skills, 110 Pine Avenue, Mildura.
ArtRageUs, 19 Magnolia Avenue, Mildura.
The Christie Centre has been a major provider of services in the region for people with a disability since 1954. It is a not-for-profit organisation providing a range of disability services for our community. Christie Centre Inc. vision is “Supporting people to have meaningful lives in their community”. Christie Centre Inc. seeks to fulfil this vision by offering a diverse and relevant range of programs and services. Christie Centre Inc. values demonstrate open and honest communication, team work and collaboration, respect, accountability and building strong relationships.
Do you aspire to work as an Disability Support Worker in the Health and Community Services Industry at a leading Disability Support Service organisation in the Mildura Area? The Christie Centre may have the right opportunity for you.
This opportunity is for a student to gain structured workplace learning as a Disability Support Assistant in a supportive team environment. This is an ideal placement for a student studying a VETDSS subject in Community Services or Allied Health to gain skills at a leading Disability Support Service.
Sounds like a pretty good employer to have on your resume doesn't it? Make the Christie Centre Inc. your next phone call to find out more.
Skills You Might Learn
The student may have the opportunity to attain a broad range of skills while on work placement. Including:
• Problem solving.
• Follow instructions.
• Work under supervision.
• Industry specific OH&S.
Typical Tasks & Duties
As a Disability Support Assistant, you will provide under supervision basic assistance and support to individuals at the Christie Centre, Life Skills and/or ArtRageUs.
Tasks and duties may include:
• Communicate and work in health industry.
• Work with diverse people.
• Participate in workplace health and safety.
• Organise and complete daily work activities.
• Work within a community development framework.
• Assist with an Allied Health Program
• Use digital technology for routine workplace tasks
• Use strategies to respond to routine workplace problems
• Interact effectively with others
• Assist with movement (when available)
• Set up and pack up activities.
Students with a positive attitude are self-motivated, willing to listen and follow instruction are encouraged to apply.
Students prior to placement commencement will be required to;
Complete an Induction Day and on-line Infection Control Module.
Obtain Police Check if 18 yrs and over prior to commencing.
Comply with COVID 19 Safe Plan.
Whilst the students is attending the work placement they are expected to:
• Dress appropriately.
• Maintain interest and participate in tasks and work duties.
• Be well mannered and behave in a respectful and responsible manner.
• Be punctual.
• Follow management instructions.
• Act in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements.
• Work within the team.
• Listen and take advice from fellow workers.
• Respect other people’s belongings.
• Keep a note pad and pen handy to take notes for their own reference.
• Demonstrate the skills they have developed through their course.
• Take their Log Book to the work placement every day.
The student will be required to present in the following work attire;
• Flat, non-slip, enclosed work shoes.
• Neat casual attire with no inappropriate slogans.
• Long hair must be tied back, nails must be kept short and clean.
Special Transport Requirements
Public Transport is limited, students to check bus transport availability and or speak to parents/carer to organise transport prior to contacting employer.
Buslink Sunraysia: Ph: 5023 0274, Website: http://buslink.com.au/your-bus-service/mildura/
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- CHC22015 - Certificate II in Community Services
- CHC32015 - Certificate III in Community Services
- HLT33015 - Certificate III in Allied Health Assistance