Child care worker
Westernport Childcare Centre & Kindergarten
If you are undertaking a Certificate level qualification in Early Childhood Education and Care or similar, this placement will be ideal. This service offers care for a range of pre school aged children in a happy, caring, supportive and stimulating environment. You will have the opportunity to work with experienced Early Childhood Educators who have a wealth of experience in providing quality care and early childhood educational programs.
Skills You Might Learn
Students may have the opportunity to attain a broad range of skills while on work placement. These will include valuable general employability skills such as:
- Problem solving
- Initiative and enterprise
- Planning and organising
A range of specific industry skills and experiences may be be gained through this placement . This placement may contribute to your practical placement requirements to complete your qualification. However please contact your school or training provider for details relating to practical placement assessments and log book requirements.
Typical Tasks & Duties
Students will work with children from a range of ages and be supported by qualified and experienced educators. Tasks and duties will contribute to developing your skills and knowledge in early childhood education and care and will work towards you developing your competencies for your qualification. During your placement, you may undertake the following:
- Develop an understanding of children’s interests and developmental needs
- Provide experiences to support children’s play and learning
- Work effectively with families to care for the child
- Support the development of children
- Assist with activities and programs
- Read to children
- Assist in maintaining a clean and safe environment
- Work with children to create a painting, story or creative item.
- Investigate procedures for allergy management
- Investigate procedures for dealing with problem behaviours
- Prepare food if appropriately qualified (ie: Food Handlers)
- Research policy on sun safety
- Research policies/strategies used to ensure child safety and security
- Research and identify signs and symptoms of common childhood illnesses
- Observe/record children’s developmental milestones
- Research strategies used to manage and maintain hygiene.
Students are required to be undertaking a Certificate level qualification in Early Childhood and Care or similar. At interview, students will be advised of requirements for the position such as a current working with children check and first aid.
Please contact employer for details relating to specific dress requirements prior to the placement commencement date.
Another good idea is to look at the people at the workplace during your interview – observe what they are wearing and use this as a guide for how you should dress when you attend your placement.
Special Transport Requirements
Student is to arrange own transport to and from the employer. Public bus service may be accessed.
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- CHC30113 - Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care