If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please contact CGLLEN for specific details of the student work placement- email@example.com or 5352 3266. Gorst Rural is a rural retail and service business based at Lake Bolac in Western Victoria – operating for over 25 years. Gorst Rural also have branches at Willaura, Tatyoon, Skipton and Derrinallum. Gorst Rural supplies all seed, chemical, fertiliser and animal production requirements as well as general merchandise, fencing, and grain storage/handling equipment. This is a terrific chance for an SWL student to learn hands on manual labour skills, customer service skills and agricultural skills. If you are motivated and enthusiastic about working in the profession of Agricultural services, please talk to your careers teacher about how to apply for this exciting opportunity.
Skills You Might Learn
Students will learn product knowledge and may possibly interact with clients while under supervision. They will learn to work as part of a team while assisting team members with Ag solutions and retail services.
Skills Attained Skills attained will include the following;
- Customer service.
- Cash handling.
- Working as part of a team.
- Workplace health and safety requirements.
- Working with and providing services to farming communities and clients of Agri business.
Typical Tasks & Duties
Students are permitted to learn how to use plant or equipment only if they are explicitly required in the performance criteria or assessment requirements of a unit of competency the student is undertaking as part of a VET qualification.
Students may assist or observe trained staff with the following activities:
- Assisting trained staff with related customer service tasks as instructed.
- Engaging in manual labour.
- Restocking store products and equipment.
- Cleaning the retail store and warehouse floors, set up of displays and packing away equipment.
- Completing all cleaning related tasks as assigned by trained staff.
This position will include duties such as helping the agronomist and other employees to assist them in their roles. Students will be expected to be active participants in all workplace practices. The business has a large team and this gives the student an excellent chance to be hands on in a variety of job roles.
Students are encouraged to consider a SWL placement to develop skills learned from their Industry and Enterprise subject and/or in their VET course in Agriculture, Retail or Business Administration.
The following requirements must be met;
- Students must have completed the Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) module in Work Related Skills or the OH&S module in the relevant VET course, along with a completed White Card (Construction Induction Card).
- Students are required to have a keen interest in Agricultural services, with a particular focus on Agronomy, Agribusiness and Agricultural supplies and services.
- Students should only undertake this SWL placement if they are motivated and willing to actively participate in tasks and duties that will enhance their employability skills.
- Students must have a willingness to learn and be able to follow instructions carefully and competently.
- Students must be willing to communicate clearly and work with a team. This includes notifying the workplace supervisor and the careers teacher of any planned or unplanned absences.
- Students must be completing a related subject or have displayed an interest in Agriculture or Business management.
- Students will be required to complete a daily Structured Workplace Learning Logbook on their employability skills and any related course work applicable to practical assessments.
- Students must ensure safe work practices and look out for other team member's safety. Use of personal mobile phones are only permitted during meal breaks and in instances under instruction by work supervisors.
Please discuss with the employer at the preplacement interview. Protective, industrial Clothing including safety boots will be required. A hat and sunscreen are essential for working outdoors. Appropriate PPE must be worn in accordance with WHS policy and work procedures.
Special Transport Requirements
The student or the parent/guardian (where the student is under 18 years of age) is responsible for the student’s transport to and from the workplace. If it is proposed that the student may need to undertake vehicle travel with their employer and/or supervisor during the arrangement (including transporting the student to and/or from the workplace), the employer must complete the Structured Workplace Learning Travel and Accommodation Form. The student or the parent/guardian (where the student is under 18 years of age) must give their consent by also completing this form. If transport is presenting a problem, please contact CGLLEN to discuss available options and support that can be provided. Email: SWL@cgllen.org.au Phone: 03 5352 3266.
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- 22480VIC - Certificate II in Small Business (Operations / Innovation)
- AHC20116 - Certificate II in Agriculture
- AHC30116 - Certificate III in Agriculture
- BSB20115 - Certificate II in Business
- BSB20120 - Certificate II in Workplace Skills
- BSB30115 - Certificate III in Business
- BSB30120 - Certificate III in Business
- SIR20216 - Certificate II in Retail Services
- VCE0000001 - VCE (including VCE Vocational Major)
- VCE20116 - Industry & Enterprise