Split 'N' Stawell
If you are interested in consuming this opportunity, please contact CGLLEN on 03 5352 3266. Do you have a keen interest in the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration industry? If so, the team at Spilt 'N' Stawell Heating and Cooling will give you a great opportunity to gain experience and upskill in various roles. Split 'N' Stawell supply and install leading brand air conditioners for homes and commercial buildings and the team of professions also service and repair heating and cooling systems. This is an ideal placement for a students currently studying a VETDSS subject in vocations such as electrotechnology, construction (plumbing) and manufacturing and engineering (refrigeration and air-conditioning tradesperson). If you are motivated and enthusiastic about working in the profession of refrigeration and air-conditioning services, please talk to your careers teacher about how to apply for this exciting opportunity.
Skills You Might Learn
Students can expect to gain the following skills:
- Follow safe work practices and procedures.
- Follow safe manual handling procedure and practices.
- Communication in the workplace.
- Overview of the refrigeration and air-conditioning industry.
- Perform basic labouring duties.
Typical Tasks & Duties
Students are permitted to learn how to use plant or equipment only if they are explicitly required in the performance criteria or assessment requirements of a unit of competency the student is undertaking as part of a VET qualification. Students may assist or observe trained staff with the following activities:
- Conversing with customers and learning the key values of excellent customer service and communication.
- Checking commercial and residential refrigeration and air conditioning systems for faults or problems.
- Use hand and power tools to assist in a job.
- Perform basic measurements and calculations.
- Stock take the materials used in the business.
- Assist a job from start to finish and document the process.
- Fixing issues in refrigeration systems as needed.
- Study drawings and blueprints to determine project specifications.
- Completing all cleaning, preparation and packing away tasks.
Students are encouraged to consider a SWL placement to develop skills learned from their VET course in Building and Construction or Manufacturing and Engineering and/or in their Industry and Enterprise subject. The following requirements must be met;
- Students must have completed the OH&S module in Work Related Skills or else have begun the OH&S module in the relevant VET course, along with a completed White Card (Construction Induction Card).
- Students must be physically able to work with hand tools and machines.
- Students must enjoy practical and manual work and be able to bend and lift using safe manual handling techniques.
- Students must have a willingness to learn and be able to follow instructions carefully and competently.
- Students must be willing to communicate clearly and work with a team. This includes notifying the supervisor and the careers teacher of any planned or unplanned absence from placement.
- Students must be completing a related subject or have displayed an interest in Construction and/or Manufacturing and Engineering.
- Students will be required to complete a Workplace Learning Record applicable to the vocation and complete any related course work applicable to practical assessments.
- Personal mobile phones are not required during work hours. Mobile phones or devices are only to be used during meal breaks and out of work hours.
Dress requirements will be discussed with the successful student prior to commencement. Appropriate PPE must be worn in accordance with WHS policy and procedure. Wear workwear that is comfortable and practical for work on job sites- closed in toe and heel shoes/steel capped work boots.
Special Transport Requirements
The student or the parent/guardian (where the student is under 18 years of age) is responsible for the student’s transport to and from the workplace. If it is proposed that the student may need to undertake vehicle travel with their employer and/or supervisor during the arrangement (including transporting the student to and/or from the workplace), the employer must complete the Structured Workplace Learning Travel and Accommodation Form. The student or the parent/guardian (where the student is under 18 years of age) must give their consent by also completing this form. If transport is presenting a problem, please contact CGLLEN to discuss available options and support that can be provided. Email: SWL@cgllen.org.au Phone: 03 5352 3266.
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- 22304VIC - Certificate II in Plumbing (Pre-Apprenticeship)
- 22338VIC - Certificate II in Building and Construction (Pre-Apprenticeship)
- 22499VIC - Certificate II in Electrotechnology (Pre-Vocational)
- 22569VIC - Certificate II in Plumbing (Pre-Apprenticeship)
- CPC20112 - Certificate II in Construction
- CPC20120 - Certificate II in Construction
- CPC20211 - Certificate II in Construction Pathways
- CPC20220 - Certificate II in Construction Pathways
- UEE22011 - Certificate II in Electrotechnology (Career Start)
- UEE22020 - Certificate II in Electrotechnology (Career Start)
- UEE32211 - Certificate III in Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration
- VCE20116 - Industry & Enterprise
- VIC20116 - VCAL Studies